Patrick Franklin Celebrates 20 Years As President And CEO Of Urban League Of Palm Beach County
Congratulations to Patrick Franklin on serving as president and CEO of Urban League Of Palm Beach County for 20 years!
A longtime voice of the agency on news stories and community forums, Franklin started with the organization in 2002 and has overseen the expansion of services and programs that have helped tens of thousands of people with housing, education, job-training, and health and wellness.
He and the agency’s staff have also worked on improving civil rights for residents across Palm Beach County and beyond, advocating for reforms to criminal justice, election systems, and many other areas of our society.
Here is what Franklin’s staff, board members, and others in the community had to say about his anniversary
– Cliff Viner, ULPBC Board Member and Foundation Board Chair, AVM, LP Partner: “Patrick has taught me both the particular needs of the underserved community, and the ways to go into the community and effectively address those issues.”
– Bernard Hampton, Former ULPBC Board Chair, Managing Director, Preferred Banking East Division Executive, Bank of America: “Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, what are you doing for others?” Dr. MLK. Franklin’s accomplishments: “Working with and partnering with the city/county to create a model of shared success in programs and resources to continue the mission including the second office building.”
– Grasford W. Smith, ULPBC General Counsel, Partner, Akerman LLP: “Patrick is the rare combination of a person with executive management skills and the heart to serve people. Our community owes him a debt of gratitude for impacting so many lives.”
– Keely Gideon-Taylor, ULPBC BOD Member, Community Relations & Special Events Manager, The Palm Beach Post: “As a long-serving board member, it’s been an absolute pleasure to serve Urban League of Palm Beach County under Patrick’s leadership. I’ve witnessed first-hand his ability to be nimble and resilient when real world challenges call for swift action on the local and national level. I admire his ability to adapt to change while championing social and economic empowerment for all Palm Beach County citizens.”
– Soulan Johnson, ULPBC, VP of Development and Communication: “The true mark of a leader is his willingness to stick with a bold course of action — an unconventional business strategy, a unique organizational development roadmap, a controversial movement — even as the rest of the world wonders why you’re not marching in step with the status quo. In other words, Patrick Franklin is a Drum Major for Change! A real leader who is happy to zig while others zag. He understands that in an era of uncertainty, hyper-competition and non-stop disruption, the only way to stand out from the crowd is to stand for something special.”
Twenty Greatest Accomplishments at the Urban League of Palm Beach County
- ULPBC recognized in 2019 by NUL with the John W. Mack Achievement Award, as one of the top 4 affiliates in the Movement!
- ULPBC certified by Non-Profits First since 2006 – 2022 as a gold standard Non-Profit in Palm Beach County.
- Creation of the ULPBC Endowment at the Community Foundation in 2017
- Creation of the ULPBC Foundation in 2019
- Creation of New Urban Community Development Corporation (NUCDC) in 2004 and becoming a Community Housing Development Organization to develop affordable housing
- Creation and development of the Henrietta Townhome Community – 11 unit townhome rental community – 2010
- Get Out the Vote Campaign – 2020
- COVID 19 Response – testing, food drives, vaccinations (2019 – 2021)
- Numerous staff coming through the ULPBC on their way to bigger jobs, responsibilities, career development
- Making the ULPBC relevant, successful and sustainable, being recognized as the “HUB of the Community”
- Treyvon Martin response –organized bus trip to Stanford, FL, town hall meetings at the ULPBC
- NULITES Youth Program – national recognition (Numerous National Chapter of the Year, Volunteer of the Year, Staff of the Year)
- Rehab of the main facility – two-phase construction project redoing 80% of 1700 N. Australian Ave.
- Completing the land transfer transaction between the School District of Palm Beach County, City of West Palm Beach and the ULPBC to give ownership of the land and the actual facility (located at 1700 N. Australian Ave.) to the ULPBC in 2015.
- Bringing together the BEST Board of Directors over 20 years, guiding and leading the affiliate.
- Representing the ULPBC and the NUL on a Good Will Ambassador Trip to China in 2017.
- Representing the ULPBC as Board Chair: Education Commission, Palm Beach County Housing Finance Authority, Discover the Palm Beaches; Board Member: Forum Club, Good Samaritan Hospital, Trustbridge Foundation, Economic Council, ½ Sales Tax Oversight (School District & County),
- Leadership Florida – Class XXIII (2004)
- Accepted and attended Non-Profit Leadership classes – Harvard Graduate School of Business, and Darden School of Business – University of Virginia
- Leading the staff of the ULPBC for twenty years!
Donate in Tribute to Patrick Franklin's 20 Years at ULPBC
In honor of President and CEO Patrick Franklin’s 20 Years at the Urban League of Palm Beach County, our organization is looking to raise $300,000 to continue program support and meeting the needs of our community through initiatives including operating drive-thru food distributions, providing COVID-19 test kits, and conducting voter registration drives. Thank you for your support.