DEPARTMENT: Economic Empowerment
REPORTS TO: Senior Director
Purpose of Position
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Director of Housing, the Housing Counselor is responsible for providing professional counseling in the area of Pre-Purchase and Foreclosure Intervention. Following the NeighborWorks/HUD guidelines provide education, information and guidance in order for client to make an informed selection of the options available to them. Interacts with lenders/servicers, advocates for client in an effort to obtain the best mortgage products available for home buyers and preserve homeownership for existing homeowners at risk of foreclosure. This position requires the use of independent judgment and decision-making skills.
• Conduct and coordinate homebuyer and homeowner education workshops for clients.
• Expand and enhance homebuyer education curriculum.
• Meet individually with client to deliver Financial Education, Budgeting and Credit Counseling tailored to each client’s unique circumstances; provide guidance and referrals.
• Create, maintain and update client files on a regular basis; follow up with client to make sure client is still on track with action plans.
• Assume and manage a number or caseload of clients whose situations require intervention or negotiation with lender.
• Build relationships with partners, lenders, community resources, realtors and other professionals in the homebuyer education field to develop referral sources.
• Provide individualized counseling on all aspects of Housing Counseling.
• Maintain organized records of compliance documentation, counseling notes for each client in physical file and in
Client Management System (CMS), and transaction document for each closing.
• Assist with the preparation of monthly, quarterly as well as AD HOC Housing Counseling Activity Reports to agency President/CEO, NUL, Palm Beach County, partners and all other housing-related entities.
• Coordinate and staff homebuyer fairs, community events; participate in other outreach activity related to the Housing Department and the Urban League of PBC.
• Provide the Senior Director of Housing with recommendation of needs, trends and issue within area of responsibility and recommends activities to address them.
• Attend local/statewide meeting on behalf of the Housing Department or the agency.
• Perform other related duties as may be assigned.
• Commitment to mission, respect for the work of our nonprofit partners, commitment to providing exemplary customer service to our clients.
• Must possess good organizational skill, computer literacy; proficiency in Microsoft Office.
• Proven experience in coordinating community outreach efforts and/or community organizing.
• Proven experience in budget/ financial fitness, credit and homeownership counseling and education.
• Possess extensive knowledge in reviewing mortgage loan documents and understanding of the mortgage loan process.
• Ability to service diverse customer base.
• Ability to carry out responsibilities with flexibility to adapt to changing needs and goals. Must have friendly, patient and professional demeanor.
• Possession of a valid Florida Driver’s License; and must have an automobile.
• Must be dependable, dedicated and flexible in regards to working some evening and/or weekend hours. Accurate and timely response to customer inquiries.
• Demonstrate ability to function independently and make independent sound judgments.
• Valid driver’s license and proof of auto insurance required.
• French Creole and/or Spanish speaking a plus.
• Bachelor Degree in Business or related field in housing counseling, social work, real estate, mortgage financing, or equivalent combination of related training and experience.
• HUD Certified Housing Counselor preferred or (must be certified within 90 days of employment).
• Certification of Completion of training from NeighborWorks America or similar organizations in Mortgage Default/Foreclosure Intervention Counseling, Pre-purchase Counseling, Post-purchase Counseling, Homebuyer Education, Budget and Credit.
Ability to perform tasks stated above.