The Urban League of Palm Beach County is a critical resource to people in the community to helping clients who are unemployed or underemployed develop competitive job skills, receive training and placement in employment. We have several workforce development programs which include:
Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office Urban Youth Employment Program
The program provides 18-24 year old offenders identified through PBSO for an intensive workforce development and case management program with the goal of finding the client permanent employment and developing the skills necessary to be successful in maintaining a job.
- Hands-on work experience and access to employers
- Referrals to GED instruction and study materials
- Job placement assistance and follow-up services
- Stipends for participation in select activities
Urban Youth Empowerment Program
Were you involved in the juvenile justice system? Are you worried about going back to a correctional facility or how you will complete school and find a job? If you answered ‘Yes’ to any of these questions, the Urban League of Palm Beach County is here to help!
The Urban Youth Empowerment Program aims to help people like you, who have been involved in the juvenile justice system, increase their education and skills and find a job. You will also have a chance to give back to your community.
UYEP is open free of charge to people who meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Must be age 14 and above at time of enrollment
- Were involved in the juvenile justice system within 12 months of enrollment
- Never convicted as an adult under Federal or State law
- Currently live in areas served by Urban League
- Demonstrated interest in UYEP activities
- Veterans have priority enrollment
Once you are admitted to the program, you will be required to participate in workforce development activities, education and training, case management, mentoring, restorative justice, and community-wide efforts to reduce violence and crime. Contact the Urban League at 561-833-1461 for enrollment details.
Urban Tech Jobs Program
Out of work and searching? Consider work working in the tech field! The Urban Tech Jobs Program (UTJP) is an accelerated technology training program that is exclusively designed for unemployed adults. The customizable program includes Job Readiness and Resiliency workshops, certificate or license bearing technology training classes, and paid work based training. As a result of graduating from the program, participants will be able to compete for jobs in a high demand and growing industry.
Why consider working in technology? Corporations that hire for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) jobs often have a difficult time finding qualified and skilled American workers. UTJP bridges that gap by collaborating with hiring companies to design and offer trainings for the jobs they need filled.
STEM jobs have the highest earnings projections, highest job growth, and lowest unemployment rate over other industries. According to the Department of Commerce:
- STEM jobs earn 26% more than non-STEM jobs
- From 2008-2018, job openings in STEM are expected to increase by 17%
- Must be unemployed, preference extended to those unemployed for 27 weeks or more.
- Must have a diploma or equivalent
- Must be 18 years or older
- Free classes and training
- Paid work experience
- Job Readiness workshops based on need
- Personal resiliency development workshops and counseling
- Stipends and emergency needs payments
- Choice in preferred technology training program from Microsoft, Cisco, CompTIA, and others
- Microsoft Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA)
- Microsoft’s Certified Solutions Associate and Expert (MCSA and MCSE)
- CompTIA A+; Network+, Server+, and Security+.
- Cisco Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician (CCNET)
- Cable Installers
- Network Admin
- Database Admin
- Information Security Analyst
- Computer Support Specialist
- IT Sales Manager